Installing the LAFN Certificate on OS-X
This procedure only works for Leopard.
To install the certificate you first have to download the pem format as
described on the previous page. Downloading it to the desktop is the easiest.
- If downloading the certificate did not bring up the dialog box below, then
double click on the certificate icon. This will start up the Keychain Utility.
- Click on the Keychain pulldown menu and select System
- Check the OK button. You will be requested to enter your id an password.
Please note this is the id and password for your OS-X account, not your
- Click on the OK button. This will bring up the certificate information
- Note that the certificate is not yet trusted (in red). Click on the Trust
button next to the triangle to set the trust settings.
- Make sure that both pull down menus are set to Always Trust. Then click
on the Always Trust button.
- You will need to enter the id and password for an administrator's account. This is probably your id and password for your account on OS-X. It is not your LAFN id and password. Click on the OK button.
- Select the keychain System and the category Certificates. Search for
the LAFN CA certificate. It should look like:
- If the icon has a red X (as shown on the smtp.lafn.org certificate) then
it is not trusted properly. Double click on the certificate image and select the trust section and set to Always Trust.
- Quit the Keychain Utility. The certificate is installed and ready to use.
You can now delete the certificate from your desktop. It is no longer needed.
Back to FAQ home
This page last updated: Sep 5, 2008